Gengo Tales proposes another way of diving into a new language. It is an adventure in which you take the role of a character in a new world. You learn the language and understand more of it as you dive into the story.
- The language is learned in its context, facing everyday challenges, in a natural way.
- All the adventure is displayed in the language to learn, avoiding the traslation to your own language
- The story and the challenge of moving forward is an incentive to continue the learning
- It uses the same method of Learn Experiment, based on repetition and adaptation to the user, to make easy the learning
To make the project grow quikly we want to propose a collaborative development. Adding a new language is as simple as substituting the text, which can be easily done by someone who speak the language. And with a little more effort, voices can be recorded to improve pronunciation. In this way, many languages could be available to learn in short period.
Same happens with other areas of development. Each one with their own abilities can help a bit in different areas:
- Creative people or people with knowledge in pedagogic can suggest the storyboard and new exercises.
- Those who draw can do sketches, and who use design applications can convert it to vectorial format
- Programmers can colaborate in correcting errors, improving interactivity or developing complementary applications
- Music enthusiasts maybe can compose some melodies to accompany the adventure, while other people can add sound effects to increase richness.
- And, of course, anyone can colaborate on testing the application and giving their impressions to continue improving, or help with organization.
Neither of these tasks requires so much individual effort, and the work can be easily shared. Many people with a little time can contribute very much. So if you are interested in the project and are willing to collaborate, or you just want to keep yourself informed, you can participate in the Facebook forum or join the Google group.
Beyond these objetives, a world of opportunities is open:New technologies are emerging on Internet, that will allow to increase quality and opportunities: From 3D to mobile devices (which will allow to learn write), through speech recognition.Other kind of applications can be developed with the same system. History, geography, and other kind of contents. Even applications without pedagogical interest.What is more, to make easy the development, it will be helpful to develop tools in mid-term. Programs to do the graphics, animate and generate the adventures, which not only will make easier our work, but also allow any people to develop their own applications.